Wednesday, August 10, 2016

So Proud Of You

Since my sweet sister, Audra, passed away almost two years ago now; I try very hard to keep her precious little babies in the forefront of my thoughts.  Because they are still so young, and missing the presence of their mother (the one person who takes care of EVERYTHING) I try to stay on top of sending them little reminders of how much their efforts in school mean (among so many other things).  Because Audra (Mom) isn't there, they still need a cheerleader.  You know, that one person (usually our Mom) who tells us how great we are, how we can accomplish anything, how we're always on their side and always there for them - that one person who makes us feel good about ourselves when we're little.  They don't have that, and I know it's super important to send them constant reminders of those little things that tend to fall through the cracks when Mom isn't around.  Just being there to tuck them in at night and say their prayers with them is something I SO wish I could every night; as Audra would.  These are the things that break my heart just a little each day, and why it's just SO very hard to move on without her. That constant reminder that Audra's presence is so greatly missed in their daily lives, and no matter how hard I try; I can never fill that void for them.  That cuts SO deep.
So I made this card for Tomas, the oldest of her children.  He had a rough school year last year, failed a class, and had to take summer school to make up the course.  But he did it, and he's back on track.  Ready for the new school year and all caught up to everyone else. I hope that this experience taught him to focus and keep his eye on the prize.  But I know it's hard without that extra help, and so much sadness hidden deep inside.  I'm trying to encourage him, believe me.  Every kid needs their Mom, and it's just SO sad without her there.
I used kraft card stock, a patterned paper, and then cut the lattice die-cut background again from kraft card stock.  I inked everything with walnut ink.  Once I had that hand-made background in place, I added some ruler ribbon, a wooden ruler that I tea stained, some red baker's twine, and a stamped sentiment on kraft card stock, backed with Jenni Bowlin patterned paper.  That's about it.

I will be sharing my card in a few challenges.  I specifically made my own background for the Pile It On Challenge.

Pile It On Challenge Blog - Challenge #114 - Make Your Own Background - I created my background by cutting a lattice design using a die-cut.  I attached it to my base and inked it to make in look grungy.  It gave me a nice hand-made background for my card.


Scrapy Land Challenge Blog - Challenge #47 - Anything Goes - I used a large lattice background die-cut from Frantic Stamper to create the sweet background.  I inked the lattice background to give it a grungy look.

Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello, everyone.  I'm grateful beyond words, and really hope you will visit again soon.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They mean so much to me.